Saturday 29 June 2013

Happy Scoliosis Awareness Day!




Happy Scoliosis Awareness Day! 
Today I come to you with a fairly different post than normal. Today(June 29th) is Scoliosis Awareness day. You might be like me 3 years ago who didn't  have a clue what ‘scoliosis’was so read on to find out!

 So in August 2010 I was diagnosed with Scoliosis; a sideways curvature of the spine, in which the spinal column can twist and alter the shape of the body. Initially I was given a brace to correct my curve  which I would wear until I was 18 but in April 2011 I found out that my curve had significantly worsened and that in summer I would have to undergo surgery. This means that I  now have two metal rods placed and fused together on either side of my spine to correct it. This image shows an X-ray of my back before and after the surgery. This July marks 2 years since my surgery and although my recovery was not always plain sailing I am now a completely normal sixteen year old girl!

I started this blog in the months after my surgery when I was bored in the evening as I could not go to my dance classes so it actually turned out for the better as it has stopped me wearing a brace for ages,  corrected the curve and made me find the wonderful world of fashion blogging!

So I know this has gone pretttty deep but my wonderful sister has challenged herself to run the British London 10K run for the Scoliosis Campaign Fund on July 14th. As a family we are not that keen on running (apart from my dad - she is now the 'Favourite child' with him) so this is incredibly random but lovely of my sister to do.
This post was done just to increase knowledge of Scoliosis and of the Scoliosis Campaign Fund. Although I was not aware of this charity at the time of my surgery they aim to provide advice, support and information to people wiht scoliosis and raise awareness to the general public. Although initially my family and I were unaware of Scoliosis we became to realise it was not as rare as we initially thought.
 I know, I know this post was a lot of writing with some deep bit but I appreciate if you read this all and hope you will join me in cheering my sister on in her run, Go Madeleine! (because that wasn't cheesy at all...)

Fun Fact: Usain Bolt, Shailene Woodley, Lourdes Leon, Kurt Cobain, Stacey Lewis and Princess Eugenie have all had Scoliosis!
Bloggers who have been affected by Scoliosis: LucyHollyShona.
Check out the Scoliosis Campaign Fund website here.  and My sisters run page here.
 



SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Aw, this was a really nice post! I would like to thank you for the efforts you’ve put in writing this site. Best of luck for the next! Please visit my web site

    Regards,
    Scoliosis in London

    ReplyDelete

© StyleStorey

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig